Monday, February 1, 2021

The lie that won’t die

In June, SANS put out a Defense Use Case that took issue with an assertion that the consultant Joe Weiss made in a May blog post. He asserted that a large transformer intended for use by the Western Area Power Administration (WAPA) had been discovered to contain a “hardware backdoor”, that could have allowed attackers to penetrate the transformer in some way, and thereby damage the US power grid in some way.

The SANS authors (Robert M. Lee, Tim Conway and Jeff Shearer) assigned the following scores to Joe’s assertion:

·        Credibility: 0

·        Amount of technical information available: 0

So other than the fact that the post can’t be believed and Joe provided no technical information to support his assertion, they liked the post…😊

While SANS didn’t go this far, I have a word I use for assertions that aren’t credible and aren’t supported by any technical information: a lie. I also wrote about Joe’s post, and I went a little further than SANS did (I wrote about five or six more posts on the WAPA transformer after that, mostly on the question of whether there’s any way a transformer even could be the subject of a cyberattack. The answer to that question, IMO, is that a transformer considered by itself can never be subject to a cyberattack, since it isn’t controlled by a microprocessor. There are a couple common add-on devices like load tap changers or dissolved gas analyzers that do have microprocessors, but it’s not at all clear how they could be attacked, or what effect that would have – if any – on the operation of the transformer itself. These are often sold and installed by a separate company, not the transformer manufacturer).

When the SANS document came out, there was a lot of discussion on LinkedIn. In the discussion, Joe said he would provide backup documentation for his claim, but I never saw any. However, I considered Joe’s assertion to be dead and buried.

I was quite surprised, then, to read in an online article by Joe a week or two ago that he was again claiming the Chinese had planted a backdoor in the WAPA transformer (he was also criticizing DoE for somehow covering up that “fact”). I posted a comment to the article in which I linked the DUC; in a day or two the article had been amended to remove the assertion.

So I was quite surprised yesterday to see Joe post on LinkedIn a link to a Forbes article that repeated the story! I commented on Joe’s post that I hadn’t seen any documentation from him. Somebody deleted that comment, so I just put it up again. I’ve also sent an email to the editor of Forbes about this.

This might all fall in the Low Comedy department, were it not for one thing: In stating that the Chinese launched a supply chain attack on the US power grid (and implying that the WAPA transformer might have been one of many that were attacked), Joe was implicitly stating that the Chinese had attacked US national security. If that’s the case, why didn’t we take some stern measures against the Chinese? Perhaps fly a B52 over Taiwan as a demonstration that we can retaliate massively (as we just did with Iran)?

Fortunately, I don’t think anyone in the national security establishment believes this ridiculous story either. I sure hope we don’t see any more of it.

Any opinions expressed in this blog post are strictly mine and are not necessarily shared by any of the clients of Tom Alrich LLC. If you would like to comment on what you have read here, I would love to hear from you. Please email me at tom@tomalrich.com.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment