Wednesday, February 14, 2018

I Forgot My Anniversary!



This might seem like an odd topic for a post on Valentine’s Day, but I’m actually referring to the anniversary of my blog. A friend asked yesterday how long I’d been writing the blog, and I at first was going to say three years - because for some reason I seem to have latched onto that number a couple years ago, and never bothered to do the advanced math since then.[i] Then I realized it’s been five years. In fact, just over two weeks ago I missed the fifth anniversary of my first post, written in a hotel room in San Diego on January 28, 2013.[ii]

So anyway, I’m proud that this blog has lasted five years, and I hope it lasts another five! And for those of you who’ve stuck with me for some or even all of the five years, thanks!

  
If you would like to comment on what you have read here, I would love to hear from you. Please email me at tom@tomalrich.com. Please keep in mind that Tom Alrich LLC can help you with NERC CIP issues or challenges like what is discussed in this post. To discuss this, you can email me at the same address or call me at 312-515-8996.

Any opinions expressed in this blog post are quite definitely those of my employer, Tom Alrich LLC! If you disagree with what I’ve said, I suggest you take it up with them.


[i] This may also explain why for many years I’ve had the idea that I’m 42. I finally realized that had to be wrong when my son turned 30 last year – and I was sure he hadn’t been born while I was in junior high!

[ii] I had previously written posts for a Honeywell blog that no longer exists, and before that I’d written some “open letters” that Honeywell distributed. The open letters started in 2010, when I attended my first CIP drafting team meeting and found it so interesting – and consequential – that I wrote my first open letter about it.

The topic of my first post wasn't exactly timeless. I was trying to convince people that they had to take CIP version 4 seriously, since after all FERC had approved that version in April of 2012, and the compliance due date was April 1, 2014. I - and many others - felt that CIP version 5 was still a pipe dream that might never be approved by FERC. So it was much better to go with the bird in the hand (v4) rather than the two in the bush (v5). This campaign of mine culminated in what I call my "Dewey Beats Truman" post, when I confidently predicted that v4 would come into effect in 2014, with v5 following a few years later. Of course, just two months later FERC issued their NOPR saying they intended to approve v5, and v4 would go to sleep with the fishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment